[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary, Cube Computers

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue Jun 24 15:42:16 CDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Not really, since the only sort of widespread NeXTBus board available was
> the NeXTDimension anyways. So you had 3 empty NeXTBush slots, but not
> boards to put in them, so BFD. The HDD space was also not that
> spectacular.

Actually, there were a surprising number of NeXTbus options, given the
small market and low volume; some of them were highly impressive!  I don't
have the old catalog at hand here in the office, but there were boards
with 5 DSPs on 'em, boards with dual i[89]60s on 'em, even saw mention of
some custom ATM cards that one of the big NeXT customers had developed for
interfacing with a management software app they were developing - McCaw
Cellular?  No?  M-something, tho.  Damn I need a memory upgrade. :-)

Plus, if you mind your power draw, you could remove the optical and
squeeze up to 4 3.5" skinny drives in a cube with a little bracketry
hacketry and some splitter cables for the DC power.  One of my cubes had
an old "machine gun Fujitsu" 5.25" FH in it that died, so I put some
mounting ears on 3.5" Seagate which it boots from now, and there's easily
room for a 2nd one with one full-height bay available if I pull the OD.

Or you could just pop in a pair of 23- or 47GB FH Seagates (did NS3.3
still have the old BSD 2GB partition size limit!?  Ugh, I need some ginko
balboa or something :-) and have enough room to store a copy of just about
every NeXTstep app ever written or sold... :-)  Er... :-/

-- Chris