[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary, Cube Computers

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Jun 24 16:03:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:42:16PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>
> > Not really, since the only sort of widespread NeXTBus board available was
> > the NeXTDimension anyways. So you had 3 empty NeXTBush slots, but not
> > boards to put in them, so BFD. The HDD space was also not that
> > spectacular.
>
> Actually, there were a surprising number of NeXTbus options, given the
> small market and low volume; some of them were highly impressive!  I don't
> have the old catalog at hand here in the office, but there were boards
> with 5 DSPs on 'em, boards with dual i[89]60s on 'em, even saw mention of
> some custom ATM cards that one of the big NeXT customers had developed for
> interfacing with a management software app they were developing - McCaw
> Cellular?  No?  M-something, tho.  Damn I need a memory upgrade. :-)

DSP cards are cool, but they are probably a bit hard to make use of on
most platforms at this point.  I'm particularly disappointed by the lack
of continuing support for the AT&T chips used so much in Macs and Mac
accelerators.

The i860 is probably going to be the easiest of that generations chips
to still use, but even so...