[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jun 24 14:42:39 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:46:15PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 01:31 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > Fact is, for a long time, Apple was selling basically architecturally
> > inferior machines,
>
>    Architecturally inferior perhaps when compared to, say, mainframes.
> But you're trolling.

There are so many different ways to talk about "architecture" that
both of your statements have little value.

We can point to PC gaffes like segmented memory architecture, the ISA
bus, etc.

We can also point to Apple screwups like shipping machines with no L2
cache, or with un-accelerated video graphics that suck pretty hard.
And the MacOS VM system (pre-OSX)... and that by holding down the
mouse button on earlier versions of MacOS you could stop all activity,
including VM paging and screen updates.

--Patrick