[rescue] Apple WWDC Summary

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jun 24 13:46:15 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 01:31 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> (And it took Apple *how* many years longer than the PC world to
>>> discover SCSI-II?  And then Wide SCSI?  But that's another issue.)
>>
>>   I haven't paid much attention to this thread, so forgive me if I'm
>> missing your point...but...I sure hope this is sarcasm.  If not,
>> you're
>> woefully misinformed.
>
> I beg to differ.  I was using SCSI-II in my PCs when brand-new Macs
> were
> still shipping with 5MB/s narrow SCSI-1, and I was using Fast Wide for
> LONG after Macs still supported only 10MB/s narrow SCSI-II onboard from
> the factory.  (Third-party add-in controllers don't count, I'm talking
> about factory SCSI support in SCSI-based machines.)

   You are an exception to the rule.  SCSI on PCs was VERY expensive and
highly exclusive what a time when every Mac came with SCSI (and indeed
you coulnd't get any other disk interface!)...Have you forgotten the
days of the $400 Adaptec 1540 boards?  The known-nothing-about-hardware
early Mac world was built around SCSI *years* before that.  What *you*
(as a technically advanced user who was obviously able to pour big
bucks into your hardware) were using is not indicative of the state of
mainstream PC hardware of that era.

> Fact is, for a long time, Apple was selling basically architecturally
> inferior machines,

   Architecturally inferior perhaps when compared to, say, mainframes.
But you're trolling.

> I know you detest and despise x86 PCs, but please don't allow that to
> lead you into thinking that anything that's not an x86 PC must
> automatically and necessarily be better.

   I resent your suggestion, Phil.  x86 PCs suck because they suck.
Macs kick ass (now) because they kick ass.  What you perhaps don't know
about me is that I'm a longtime Mac hater...604s were getting old
before I gave them a second look, because they SUCKED so badly (mainly
due to their OS and their price tags).  But to say their architecture
was inferior is plainly incorrect.

   If you disagree, fine, I respect your opinion...but I don't share it.

          -Dave