[rescue] The Awe Inspiring grandure of NJ?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Jun 21 14:13:12 CDT 2003

Lionel Peterson says ...

> Those are the only two choices - "armpit" or "awe inspiring"? I feel
> that most of the US is less than awe inspiring...

That "most" is because there's so much of it.

If you took the jaw-dropping, totally-amazing parts of the US and moved them
all to some European country, it would be the scenic theme-park to end all
theme-parks.  If you could fit 'em all in.  Yosimite National Park is over
1,500 square miles, Wrangell-St. Elias NP in Alaska is larger than
Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island combined, or about 2/3rds the
size of Switzerland, and it contains a single glacier larger than Yosimite
NP.  Even middling US states are pretty big; Georgia is three times the size
of Denmark or Holland, and half the size of the entire UK.

So, yeah, most of the US is pretty forgettable, but simply because it's so
big, we forget that the good bits rank up there with anything you can find
anywhere.

-Shel