[rescue] Perverse Question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 12:50:37 CDT 2003

--- "Jeffrey J. Nonken" <jeff_work at nonken.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 20:15:53 -0700 (PDT), Francisco Javier
> Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> >for a long time. RISC doesn't mean few instructions in the ISA. The
> >REDUCED in RISC means reduced number of cycles per instruction to
> >the point that all integer instructions should take 1 clock cycle
> >(after applying pipelining of course). Another thing that makes a

The way *I* always remembered RISC being defined had to do with doing
fewer (less instructions) things faster (in one clock cycle if
possible). The idea was, AFAIR, that the bulk of processing used a
certain core set of instructions, and if you only had those
instructions (and you ran them as fast as possible) you could emulate
the missing ones and still come out ahead...

=====
Lionel