[rescue] retrotastic!

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Jun 12 12:50:43 CDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	"Due to the quantity of stuff I can't gaurintee that any of this
> works or that the above invintory is correct. However I believe most of the
> stuff works. The invintory is probably missing a lot of what is included in
> this lot." (spelling mistakes from original)
>
> 	That last sentence is a killer. you are agreeing to buy a lot with
> no fixed inventory here. Also the guy has a feedback rating of 1, left
> from over a year and a half ago. It's setting off my E-bay alarms.

I read it as "the inventory [i.e. the product listing contained in the
text of this ad] is missing a lot of [entries for items] included in this
lot."

You may not be familiar with UK terminology. That doesn't make him a
crook. I believe the Brits would read "inventory" in the same way some of
us might read "manifest" or "bill of goods" or "product listing." And I
think most people who buy at auctions anywhere, US or UK or else, know
that "lot" or "this lot" (but not "missing a lot") refers to the
collection of items included in a single auction sale unit.

He's offering a huge as-is lot, and may not have listed every single item.
Nothing malicious about that. And it's not uncommon or misleading.

To some people, one or two pieces of the lot would be worth the current
US$$129 bid. I wouldn't be surprised if the boxed Amigas would resell
instantly for the sum of that bid.

> 	A further check shows a shill bidder on this. threelionsfan66 has
> bid 4 times to raise the price so far and has a feedback of 0 and a
> quick check shows that the account was created June 8th 2003...

If you think he's a shill bidder, report him. I don't see any evidence to
that fact. He placed a bid 6/9 18:13BST, got outbid on 6/11 20:12BST, and
placed three bids before he beat the outbidder's bid.  Hesitation, or
perhaps slow email, is not always a sign of malice. I've done that before
myself, inched a bid up.

Some people don't sign up for ebay until they find something they want to
buy. And for an enthusiast for this sort of kit, one who was able to
comply with the local pickup restriction, this lot might be enough to get
them to sign up. Heck, if I'd found this lot seven years ago within a few
miles of my home, I would've signed up to buy it.

> 	and oh my, I just checked as a final to this. His postage and
> packing is #400.00! My oh My! And he list no return, no postage at the
> bottom. Not sure what that means exactly.

I think it means no return, no shipping. See below.

> But I suggest cash in had as you pick it up and inspect for this
> auction.

I suggest it too, since he says three times that local pickup is required.

	"Buyer Must Collect - too much to fit in one car, either a van or
	multiple trips will be required."

And in the header:

	Postage: Buyer pays for all postage costs, which are provided in
	the Payment Details section below. Will arrange for local pickup
	only (no postage).

And in the bottom, adjacent the shipping cost:

	"No return. No postage. "

You'll notice that the term "postage" in the UK site means slightly
different things than in the US, as evidenced by the category the US site
calls "Shipping" being called "Postage" on the UK site. Look at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2735153817 if you're
unclear on this.

I think he might have set off fewer of your "alarms" if he'd chosen the "I
will provide postage costs later" option when listing the auction, but
maybe he's just trying to drive home the fact that he doesn't want to ship
it. Ya know, I'd sell my HP 9000 deskside to an east coast buyer if he
paid me $2000 in shipping and handling.

You should save your alarms for auctions you're closer to, and those who
speak the same version of English, probably. :)

--Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com