[rescue] First steps on "new" rs6000?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Jun 9 19:40:21 CDT 2003

   Jonathan Patschke mentions:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Robert Novak wrote:
>
> > Not getting anything on Serial A with a null modem (laplink) cable going
> > into my nearby laptop. It went through the POST codes (once I got the
> > memory board reseated and got rid of the 888 BIST error), and went through
> > a couple of "trying to load IPL from" codes and now sits smugly at 262,
> > which seems to be the no-keyboard-detected code.

   Try pulling the graphics card.  This *should* trick the thing
into going past this error.  And, yes, 262 is "Keyboard not detected
as being connected to the system's keyboard port."

> I had this problem with a 250.  The problem was the null-modem adapter.
> Older RS/6000s are VERY picky about that sort of thing.  You might just
> want to try tossing a head on it.

   The machine wants full modem controls from the serial
device.  Typically, what one will see if the modem signals
aren't properly done is that you'll see the boot-time output
but not be able to log into the machine.