[rescue] First steps on "new" rs6000?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 9 20:18:27 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Carl R. Friend wrote:

> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Robert Novak wrote:
> >
> > > Not getting anything on Serial A with a null modem (laplink) cable going
> > > into my nearby laptop. It went through the POST codes (once I got the
> > > memory board reseated and got rid of the 888 BIST error), and went through
> > > a couple of "trying to load IPL from" codes and now sits smugly at 262,
> > > which seems to be the no-keyboard-detected code.
>
>    Try pulling the graphics card.  This *should* trick the thing
> into going past this error.  And, yes, 262 is "Keyboard not detected
> as being connected to the system's keyboard port."

Did that first. As I sat here typing it, the card was sitting on the
detached keyboard.

Turned out the Sony monitor I had sitting here works just fine with it, so
I don't have to muck with rerunning power cables and such. I'm installing
AIX 5L 5.1 right now, Fileset 33 of 218. Yay.

>    The machine wants full modem controls from the serial device.
> Typically, what one will see if the modem signals aren't properly done
> is that you'll see the boot-time output but not be able to log into the
> machine.

Hmmm. WOnder if I should turn on hardware flow control on the laptop port
then. Oh well, it's working well for now on the graphical console.

--ROb
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com