[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Jun 7 11:03:03 CDT 2003

Mike Hebel says ...
> On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 09:51 AM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> >  Yeah, but screw up _just_once_, and your address will be on every spam
> > list
> > in China, and you'll get innundated.  In my case, the spam that gets
> > through
> > outnumbers the legitimate e-mail; I have no idea how much goes in the
> > bit-bucket before it gets to the company's POP server.
>
> Which is why running my own mail server I have a spamtrap at nimizbrood.com
>
> Personally since e-mail addresses are so cheap to make I think it would
> be an effective solution for each user to have two.  A public, read:
> spammable, address and a private one.  If they give out the wrong one -
> oh well.  But in most cases it wouldn't be an issue to setup two
> accounts on a client with some rules to forward the spam account to a
> spam folder.  They could then use the spam account for setting up online
> things.

Why should I do things to make legitimate contact more difficult?

I have several e-mail addresses, and could have more.  Some of the addresses
are of minor historical value. I have had them for a long time, and they are
attached to articles that some folks find interesting and about which they
wish to contact me.  I've had one of the addresses since the mid-eighties,
and, yes, nowadays almost all the messages I get there are spam.  Almost
all, but not all.  I still check my mail there because there is,
occasionally, a real message.  I do that just like I walk out to the mailbox
each day, even though I my snail mail is mostly junk, too.

Spammers are like terrorists; to the extent that you change your life
because of them, you let them win.

-Shel