[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Jun 7 10:02:08 CDT 2003

Which is why running my own mail server I have a spamtrap at nimizbrood.com

Personally since e-mail addresses are so cheap to make I think it would
be an effective solution for each user to have two.  A public, read:
spammable, address and a private one.  If they give out the wrong one -
oh well.  But in most cases it wouldn't be an issue to setup two
accounts on a client with some rules to forward the spam account to a
spam folder.  They could then use the spam account for setting up online
things.

> Until they apply the "illegal access" laws and make spamming a crime,
> and
> the knowing transmission of it a civil offense, those of us who must be
> available will continue to seek technological defenses.

No argument from me on that one.  I didn't say Spamasssasin wasn't a
good tool.  I merely point out that it wasn't necessary for most
situations where you would be using an IPX/IPC for mail.  Besides, as
Curtis pointed out in another e-mail the IPX maxes out at 64meg, or 128+
if you use two 64's in the first bank.  Depends on the box I think.
Regardless that's more than enough RAM to handle the situation.  Even
48meg on an IPC would be fine as long as you weren't running a lot
(200+) account on the box.

Mike Hebel

--
Medieval Combat anyone? http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=694655