[rescue] Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Jun 7 09:51:21 CDT 2003

 Mike Hebel says, in part ...
> On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 10:55 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
> wrote: [in part]
> > [an IPC/IPX is just grand as a mailserver until you want to run ]
> > SpamAssassin, which will use about 12MB of RAM running in
> > daemon mode.
>
> I honestly have never use
> SpamAssassin.  Properly choosing when and where to use your e-mail
> address works wonders.

Yeah, but screw up _just_once_, and your address will be on every spam list
in China, and you'll get innundated.  In my case, the spam that gets through
outnumbers the legitimate e-mail; I have no idea how much goes in the
bit-bucket before it gets to the company's POP server.

Until they apply the "illegal access" laws and make spamming a crime, and
the knowing transmission of it a civil offense, those of us who must be
available will continue to seek technological defenses.

-Shel