[rescue] Perverse Question

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Jun 6 22:55:16 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:01:28PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 07:08 PM, Al Potter wrote:
>
> > OK, apologies in advance.....
> >
> > I remember someone posting this link:
> >
> > 	http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/sparc/
> >
> > I have SEVERAL IPX/IPC systems that are currently in use as doorstops,
> > bookshelf props, monitor stands, etc.  I have replaced them with
> > cheapass
> > LXen and Classics, as they have more bawls and builtin 10BaseT.
> >
> > No, these IPX/IPCs are not rescuable.
>
> *cough* BULLSHIT! *cough*  I use these boxen extensively for simple web
> servers and mail/DNS/firewall boxes.  They just run, and run, and run.

The problem is, that even then, they are slow when not doing something
that can be handled by a C program.  For instance, they can handle
email and POP3 accounts just fine - until you decide to implement
POP-before-SMTP, which uses a Perl program and will bog down your
system; or SpamAssassin, which will use about 12MB of RAM running in
daemon mode.

> You are an evil, evil, evil person.  If you want an empty case to put

No, he isn't.  A PC running a BSD or Linux can be handy.  I find the
IPX formfactor wonderful and wish Sun would make something like it
again.

--Patrick