[rescue] Perverse Question

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Jun 6 23:23:26 CDT 2003

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 10:55 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366
wrote:

>> *cough* BULLSHIT! *cough*  I use these boxen extensively for simple web
>> servers and mail/DNS/firewall boxes.  They just run, and run, and run.
>
> The problem is, that even then, they are slow when not doing something
> that can be handled by a C program.  For instance, they can handle
> email and POP3 accounts just fine - until you decide to implement
> POP-before-SMTP, which uses a Perl program and will bog down your
> system; or SpamAssassin, which will use about 12MB of RAM running in
> daemon mode.

First, why would you want POP-before-SMTP?  Just because I'm too klutzy
to get it working doesn't mean you can't use simple authentication. (Ok,
so I'm having trouble getting my postfix server to allow outgoing mail
outside of my domain. So sue me.) Second, I honestly have never use
SpamAssassin.  Properly choosing when and where to use your e-mail
address works wonders.

Although I can see where the argument could be made about the overhead
issue.  Except that I exclusively use NetBSD/OpenBSD on those boxes when
I can.  I think I have maybe one loaded with Debian and that's it.
Anything else is far too heavy but with NetBSD those boxes act fairly
snappy in my opinion.  About the only thing I've noticed that takes a
long time is generating an RSA key on initial boot up.  And that takes a
long time on a Pentium depending on the situation.

>> You are an evil, evil, evil person.  If you want an empty case to put
>
> No, he isn't.  A PC running a BSD or Linux can be handy.  I find the
> IPX formfactor wonderful and wish Sun would make something like it
> again.

Then he should be buying "book-pc" style cases.  I stand by my guns on
this one.  No computer of non-Intel origin should have to become
PC-of-the-living-dead.  They have more dignity than that.

I repeat my offer - if all he wants is the cases then I'll take all the
insides.  A micro-atx board and power supply are cheap and will fit in
the box just fine with plenty of room to spare.

Mike hebel

--
Medieval Combat anyone? http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=694655