[rescue] It really sucks ....

Thomas Gallaway tgallaway at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 11:59:34 CDT 2003

> > In another 5 or more years those IT closets will empty and the last
> > remaining netservers and the quadruple redundant trays will flood
> > the market.  Maybe not like that but the trays were made and sold I
> > doubt they failed, it's just companies keeping spares.
>
> Don't count on that.  Many companies, and all branches of government
> destroy hard drives pulled from retired systems.  In systems like
> NetServers, SGIs, and some Suns, the trays pull out so easily, that
> they're destroyed along with the drives because the company doesn't see
> the value in a piece of plastic pulled from an "antiquated" system.

I from now and then find boxes full with harddisk trays that have gubbermint
sticker's on them (mostly coming from .gov contractor company's who dispose
quipment for the .gov). But I havent found any netserver tray's. Mostly
Compaq
other random cases. This is due the fact that they want to take apart the
disk
and pull the platter's out and then grind them to dust. So it's most likely
that
they just toss the caddy along with the grinded dust of the harddrives than
bothering selling them.

That remindes me if I find harddisk's that got "nailed" like that got a nail
slammed
true the platter's would company's like maxtor or seagate RMA then? ;-)