[rescue] VGA signal amplifiers

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Thu Jul 31 17:54:31 CDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> How do you want to drive all these displays? Each display with an
> inividual machine or do you plug three or four quad head video cards in
> a single machine? (At $WORK we have a machine with fife heads: One on
> the AGP card and four on an quad PCI VGA from Matrox.)

 For now the focus is one machine per display, but there is the option
down the road of doubling/triping/quadrupling up on machines. The machines
I'm dealing with are slim profile Dell cases. One free AGP, one free PCI,
both half-height. (With what appears to be a 64-bit PCI covered by the
power supply).

> This depends mainly on the cable. I have all my machines in the machine
> room and use extension cables to get video / keyboard / mouse to my desk
> in the living room. The cables are 10 to 12 meter long. I use high
> quality 13W3 extension cables from Sun and self made cales with RG59
> (i.e. 75 Ohm) coax cable. The usual VGA extension cables are often of
> poor cable quality. I am running 1280 x 1024 @ 76 Hz with very good
> results. But most modern VGA cards tend to have weak video signal
> drivers. So I would try if a simple solution with good cable works.

 It seems as though cable quality is sounding to be the important issue
here. I will keep that in mind as I proceed with my project.

 I am looking to run the the LCDs at 1280x1024 at whatever the default
refresh rate is, and the CRTs at 1024x768.

 Thank you for your input. I will be looking into cabling.

---
 Matthew Haas
 Corning/Geneseo, NY