[rescue] VGA signal amplifiers

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Jul 31 16:59:43 CDT 2003

On 2003.07.31 22:24 Matthew Haas wrote:

>  I'm going to be building a linux-based video wall of approximately
> 12-16 displays
How do you want to drive all these displays? Each display with an
inividual machine or do you plug three or four quad head video cards in
a single machine? (At $WORK we have a machine with fife heads: One on
the AGP card and four on an quad PCI VGA from Matrox.)

> the actual video walls would be roughly 25 feet away
> This leads me to question whether or not signal degradation
> will occur.
This depends mainly on the cable. I have all my machines in the machine
room and use extension cables to get video / keyboard / mouse to my desk
in the living room. The cables are 10 to 12 meter long. I use high
quality 13W3 extension cables from Sun and self made cales with RG59
(i.e. 75 Ohm) coax cable. The usual VGA extension cables are often of
poor cable quality. I am running 1280 x 1024 @ 76 Hz with very good
results. But most modern VGA cards tend to have weak video signal
drivers. So I would try if a simple solution with good cable works.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen