[rescue] Re: Being jobless

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jul 28 18:48:59 CDT 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 01:47 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>>   You're using eCos?  I just ran across a book about it in Borders the
>> other day.  I was in a rush so I didn't dig thorugh it.  What
>> processors does it run on, do you know offhand?
>
> It runs on various StrongARM and XScale chips.  I get the impression
> that this is the most common platform.  It also runs on Sparc (although
> I haven't seen it actually run on a Sun, just on sparcs in embedded
> systems), IA-32, and PPC.  And then, there is what we are currently
> using it on, or looking at using it on, Hitachi SH-3s, SH-4s, and H8s.
> There are probably more supported CPUs.  That's just off the top of my
> head.  eCos seems perfectly reasonable.  I don't have experiences with
> any other RTOSs to compare it to though.

   I've been looking at RTEMS but I haven't actually done anything with
it yet.  I'm considering running it on one of my new DragonBall
designs, but the hardware isn't quite ready yet.

   I wonder about LEON, the free VHDL SPARC implementation that the ESA
built.  Hmm.

> If the book you saw was "Embedded Software Development with eCos" by
> Anthony J. Massa, I don't find it to be a terribly helpfull book.

   That's the one.  Thanks for the advice!

      -Dave