[rescue] Re: Being jobless

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Jul 28 12:47:36 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:36:56PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 01:33 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >On a side note, on the SH-3 we can't even use -O2 optimization and have
> >the ecos example programs still function.
>
>   You're using eCos?  I just ran across a book about it in Borders the
> other day.  I was in a rush so I didn't dig thorugh it.  What
> processors does it run on, do you know offhand?

It runs on various StrongARM and XScale chips.  I get the impression
that this is the most common platform.  It also runs on Sparc (although
I haven't seen it actually run on a Sun, just on sparcs in embedded
systems), IA-32, and PPC.  And then, there is what we are currently
using it on, or looking at using it on, Hitachi SH-3s, SH-4s, and H8s.
There are probably more supported CPUs.  That's just off the top of my
head.  eCos seems perfectly reasonable.  I don't have experiences with
any other RTOSs to compare it to though.

If the book you saw was "Embedded Software Development with eCos" by
Anthony J. Massa, I don't find it to be a terribly helpfull book.