[rescue] Divide and conquer

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Wed Jul 23 23:21:20 CDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> > > I took a look at it.  Is the rest of the work as inaccurate as the
> > > information he has on VMS?
> >
> > He mentions that people felt that coding IBM mainframes was like
> > kicking a dead whale down the beach.  *I* certainly don't feel that
> > way.  I find it to be liberating to code a system so capable.
>
> I had a look through his comments.
>
> He is expressing his opinion about the facts, with an emphasis on
> *opinion*.

Indeed.  He has the opinion that mainframes are outdated technology.
Mainframes and minis are still quite effective at lending their
capabilities to those who access them over their network.

> Dunno about VMS but he is laughably wrong about OS/2, he says that OS/2
> was not setup to run unix-style daemon processes; WTF was DB/2 running
> on OS/2 then?

Anyway, whenever he refers to DB/2, it looks more like he's refering to
DB2/2.

> He needs an editor to go through that book with a chainsaw.

Indeed.  It's excellent and cogent, but it's far too biased.

Peace...  Sridhar