[rescue] Divide and conquer

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 06:27:24 CDT 2003

--- vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> He mentions that people felt that coding IBM mainframes was like
> kicking a dead whale down the beach.  *I* certainly don't feel
> that way.  I find it to be liberating to code a system so capable.

I wonder if he is reporting first-hand impressions, or what others say.
Folks who program mainframes in "classic" mainframe languages (COBOL),
using "classic" mainframe I/O (CICS) and use "classic" databases (IMS
or VSAM, if you'll consider VSAM a database?) simply work differently
from Visual Basic, Windows GUI and Access database programs - and for
lots of good reasons. The pain in mainframe programming is in
comparison to other platforms, IMHO. (VB is a great demo system and
good for knocking out pretty GUIs, but comapred to a mainframe
environment, well, let's just say its apples and oranges.)

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall