[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jul 15 20:46:38 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:40:46PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> APC SmartUPS Pro 1100
>
> They're otherwise a fine UPS for light duty.  However, I do not trust
> them in a datacenter environment.  I bought one for myself for the
> house and it powers my Octane, my iBook, and my P4 PeeCee (when it's
> actually on) for a respectable amount of time.  I also have one
> connected to the audio rack (and TV) to protect them, it performs well
> in this situation also.

Yeah, the 1KVA range is definitely a home-environment UPS.  There's no
point putting them in a datacenter -- it's just not cost-effective.  You
end up with fifteen frames filled with 1KVA UPSen.

> When you stick a big-ass server with 4 power supplies on them though,
> they tend to shit the bed - especially when all those drives start to
> spin up.

Oh hell yes.  One machine in that class can probably over-draw an 1100VA
UPS.  I wouldn't put even a single machine in that class on anything
less than a 2KVA UPS.