[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jul 15 21:32:41 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 09:46 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Yeah, the 1KVA range is definitely a home-environment UPS.  There's no
> point putting them in a datacenter -- it's just not cost-effective.
> You
> end up with fifteen frames filled with 1KVA UPSen.

You know that.  I know that.  The people with the money *really* don't
care to hear the wisdom.

>> When you stick a big-ass server with 4 power supplies on them though,
>> they tend to shit the bed - especially when all those drives start to
>> spin up.
>
> Oh hell yes.  One machine in that class can probably over-draw an
> 1100VA
> UPS.  I wouldn't put even a single machine in that class on anything
> less than a 2KVA UPS.

I've got a price quote sitting on my desk right now - just waiting for
a good time to present them.

--
Kurt				"There are some bad people on the rise.
kurt at k-huhn.com	They're saving their own skins by ruining peoples