[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jul 15 20:40:46 CDT 2003

On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 08:19 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:29:07PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> I'm extremely intolerant of equipment that doesn't Just Work.  For
>> instance,
>> these APC UPSs are getting tossed out the window the next time one of
>> them
>> decides to go into overload/imbalance because I *unplug* a system
>> from them.
>>  Fucking things.
>
> Out of curiosity, which APC model? I've only ever had one develop a
> problem ...  it overcharged a set of batteries to the point of
> inflating
> them against the case walls.  APC sent a truck to pick up the UPS for
> analysis and replaced the entire unit.

APC SmartUPS Pro 1100

They're otherwise a fine UPS for light duty.  However, I do not trust
them in a datacenter environment.  I bought one for myself for the
house and it powers my Octane, my iBook, and my P4 PeeCee (when it's
actually on) for a respectable amount of time.  I also have one
connected to the audio rack (and TV) to protect them, it performs well
in this situation also.

When you stick a big-ass server with 4 power supplies on them though,
they tend to shit the bed - especially when all those drives start to
spin up.

--
Kurt				"There are some bad people on the rise.
kurt at k-huhn.com	They're saving their own skins by ruining peoples