[rescue] SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Jul 14 12:37:36 CDT 2003

On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 12:04 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> I've long liked the display quality of ATI's boards.  And it seems that
> some of the recent Radeon/FireGL cards are really turning out good
> performance without strange hassles that I view as typicall of older
> ATI
> 3d cards.  Still, lots to be scared of.  The old SGI logo is back
> though, and that makes me feel a lot better about it all.

That and did you notice the bottom of the C/Net article earlier...said
they would be sticking with a two-prong hardware approach (MIPS and
Itanium) for the indefinite future since they had planned to jump to
Itanium but their customers were preventing it... now if they'd only
get a clue and can the Itanium hardware completely.  It's too late for
HP....well maybe not technically, but definitely for their board of
execs... i.e. Mako is really nice and makes Itanium 2 and beyond look
like babies toys...but alas.

Andrew