[rescue] SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Mon Jul 14 11:04:58 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 02:30:32AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 02:24:48AM -0400, Aaron Finley wrote:
> > That's really quite depressing.
>
> Well, according to the article (but then again it is CNet "snews.com")
> it seems they are still using their own custom interconnects.  And they will have written their own device drivers for it.
>
> So those are two pluses out of X number of minuses.
>
> Personally I have always considered ATI kind of low-end in terms of
> their engineers' ability to design graphics cards.  They were sort of
> the the Microsoft of graphics companies.

I've long liked the display quality of ATI's boards.  And it seems that
some of the recent Radeon/FireGL cards are really turning out good
performance without strange hassles that I view as typicall of older ATI
3d cards.  Still, lots to be scared of.  The old SGI logo is back
though, and that makes me feel a lot better about it all.