[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from SunE10Kservers?]

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jul 14 10:24:48 CDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Are you using an i840 based motherboard with one or more MTH (Memory
> translator hub) chips ???  Essentially grafting SDRAM memory onto
> a chip meant for RDRAM ?

An i820, but, yes.

> I've heard about the instability of this, and I have a dual proc
> motherboard with two of these chips on it.

The instability is as-documented.  Put the system under high load, and
it will reboot.  Turn on a fluorescent light in the room, and the system
will crash.

> If you have other DIMMS around, try other DIMMS.  Oddly enough as I
> recall it either likes slower PC100 or faster PC133... (one would
> think it might be the other way around... CAS3 PC133 being very
> similar to CAS2 PC100).

The system has been flaky with every SIMM I've tried in it.  It is a
lost cause, and I will post pictured of its destruction upon
replacement.

> Do you also know that all the RAM is good ?  I can highly recommend
> memtest86 (free, powerfull... and most of all usefull !).

I'll give it a shot, but it's far too good of a textbook example of MTH
instability for me to blame anything else.

BTW, eventually i'll get off my ass and send you that PROM and money.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren