[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from SunE10Kservers?]

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Jul 14 09:44:28 CDT 2003

Are you using an i840 based motherboard with one or more MTH (Memory
translator hub) chips ???  Essentially grafting SDRAM memory onto
a chip meant for RDRAM ?

I've heard about the instability of this, and I have a dual proc
motherboard with two of these chips on it.

It uses SDRAM as well .... and I've only played with it briefly, however
what I have read is that it is vvveeerrryyy sensitive to memory timing.

If you have other DIMMS around, try other DIMMS.  Oddly enough as I
recall it either likes slower PC100 or faster PC133... (one would
think it might be the other way around... CAS3 PC133 being very
similar to CAS2 PC100).

I've also read that if you use ECC memory that it is supposadly more
stable with ECC turned off (something again to do with timing).  I've
got ECC, and in my experiments I have done, I left ECC turned on.

Mostly I've run extensive memory tests with this with memtest86 for
hours on end.  I only had it run into an error once.

My board is a Tyan though, not Intel.

Changing memory timing parameters in the BIOS (if it allows you to)
might allow you to increase your reliability if this is the situation
you are running into.

Do you also know that all the RAM is good ?  I can highly recommend
memtest86 (free, powerfull... and most of all usefull !).

Best of luck,

  -- Curt

>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:26:57 -0500
>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>