[rescue] WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10K servers?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jul 8 14:50:22 CDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Jona Sperty wrote:

> It is my personal opinion that when you want your computer to work
> all the time you should not buy a sun box!

*yawn*

  # uptime
    2:45pm  up 148 day(s),  7:22,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.08
  # prtconf | head -5
  System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u
  Memory size: 1024 Megabytes
  System Peripherals (Software Nodes):

  SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Yes, -=certain=- CPU modules suffer from severe e-cache problems, but
the vast majority of Sun systems (SPARCstation 1 through Exx00 systems)
are rock-solid.  Contrast this with our IBM p660 systems with the
exploding power supplies.

Yeah, 148-days of uptime isn't impressive, but you have to install
patches -sometime-.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren