[rescue] Wireless on an Ultra 10

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 8 10:27:02 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 08:23:01AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> There is no easy way *that I know of* to do 802.11b wireless directly on a
> SPARC/Solaris system. Most people I know of who do wireless on Sun SPARC
> hardware do it under BSD or Linux, where drivers are ported over from the

I seem to recall a case where a PCI adapter is used to hold a regular
PCMCIA wireless card.  Not sure what drivers Sun has available however.

A slightly more expensive option (about $100) is the use of a Linksys
"WET11".  This is an ethernet bridge that can serve as a client to an
access point.  It can talk to anything that has ethernet; then it
connects to the wireless portion of the network with its tiny onboard
embedded CPU and bridges between wired and wireless networks.

Using a WET11, you could put anything that talks Ethernet on wireless.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Lisp hosting       |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |