[rescue] Wireless on an Ultra 10

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jul 8 19:19:09 CDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 08:23:01AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> > There is no easy way *that I know of* to do 802.11b wireless directly on a
> > SPARC/Solaris system. Most people I know of who do wireless on Sun SPARC
> > hardware do it under BSD or Linux, where drivers are ported over from the
>
> I seem to recall a case where a PCI adapter is used to hold a regular
> PCMCIA wireless card.  Not sure what drivers Sun has available however.

Yeah, that takes care of the SPARC part (on PCI cards) but not the Solaris
part. You could do the same with SBus too. But the drivers are the issue,
particularly for the PCMCIA part of it (Solaris will drive the SBus
PCMCIA adapter, I suspect, but will it drive the LInksys or Aeronet or
whatever?).

--Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com