[rescue] Wireless on an Ultra 10

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jul 8 10:23:01 CDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	To do this I decide that my nifty 10 needs to be on the net. Now not
> wanting to string a network cable across half the first floor I think to
> myself, hey I got a wireless network in the other room. Let's hook up
> through that.

Neat idea. :)

> 	Then it hit me. I have no friggin idea how you make an Ultra 10
> use a wireless lan. Is it possible? I see that it has a USB port, is
> there one of those USB wireless adapters that would work? does sun make
> a Wireless card? Can I plug something together? I am mystified by this.
> Is it possible for sun gear to do wireless?

The SunPCi card has USB, so you could probably use a USB adapter under
SunPCi/Windows. I haven't tried this myself, but it does sound vaguely
elegant in terms of time and expense.

There is no easy way *that I know of* to do 802.11b wireless directly on a
SPARC/Solaris system. Most people I know of who do wireless on Sun SPARC
hardware do it under BSD or Linux, where drivers are ported over from the
x86 side. I'd love to hear of a way to use a pci wireless card in my U5 or
another machine. But for now, I'm planning to run FreeBSD/sparc64 to do
that.

Rob
Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com