[rescue] VAX CPU Board on ebay

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Jan 27 10:11:39 CST 2003

"Skeezics Boondoggle" <skeezics at q7.com> writes ...

> According to a car salesman I used to do database consulting for a long,
> long time ago, nothing on four wheels could pin you back in your seat like
> the Shelby Cobra.

That would be the later, 427 model.  The first ones, 260 CID and, very soon
after they came out, 289 CID, were fast, but not that fast.  The 427 didn't
weigh all that much more than the 289, but had lots more power.  I don't
know if it works with the reproductions, though, as I expect they are all
considerably heavier than the original.

> To close the deal, the salesman would strap the buyer
> into the passenger seat, take a crisp $100 from his wallet and tuck it
> under the visor in front of him, and tell him "If you can grab that $100
> before the odometer reaches 60, it's yours."  They never had to pay it.

I assume you mean "speedometer" ... I wouldn't do that sort of max accel on
a brand new car....

Having been both the subject and the object of this little trick, I can
assure you that it works.  Driving the Cobra like that is tough, though.
The same G-forces that keep the passenger from getting your money make it
hard to reach to reach the stick, and you do have to shift once before you
get to sixty, IIRC.

-Shel