[rescue] Sun 600 in 3/50 question

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jan 27 03:25:25 CST 2003

On 2003.01.27 07:00 Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> While I intend to "play" with them as they are, I'm also curious if
> the power supply is up to the task of powering a Sparc 600 cpu board.
I have a 4/600MP board in a 3/60 chassis. This config pushes the 3/60
PSU to its limits and I would not recommend to install multiple CPUs or
SBus cards, as cooling is very weak. I don't run this machine, I don't
trust it. It gets very hot. (The usual Sun disease.)

Also: The 3/60 PSU doesn't deliver -12 V. So you can not use serial
console as the serial transceiver chips need -12 V to operate.
Framebuffer console with a (T)GX works. I solved this problem with a
litle self made circuit, that generates -10 V from +12 V.

I am thinking of building a enclosure for the 4/600MP board and some
disk bays myself. But it may be easier to get a SS20...
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen