[rescue] Re: Sun 600 in 3/50 question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jan 27 02:59:14 CST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> While I intend to "play" with them as they are, I'm also curious if
> the power supply is up to the task of powering a Sparc 600 cpu board.

I think I read that there was some problem with serial console in a /60
chassis, but I'd have to google for details.

> I'm got two 4/610 (600 cpu boards in 4/110 chassis)... and they work
> nicely... even running Solaris 8 (can you say LARGE sparc 10 :-) ),
> but was wondering if the 3/50 would run one, or if it's power supply
> might be too wimpy.

How did you get Sol8 going on the 600MP? Last I heard 2.6 was a hack and 7
was a near impossibility.

Someday when I have power, I may get a 12-slot and jumper it to run a few
600MPs in one enclosure. Right now my largest enclosure is a six-slot. And
I'm happy with sub-$200 power bills right now.

Dave: Yes, I'm planning to move. To even less reliable power in the Keys.
:)