[rescue] VAX CPU Board on ebay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 26 04:21:31 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 05:14 AM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Actually, that's nothing overclocker-specific... quit a bit of
> motherboards,
> so my astonisment, have heatsinks on the chippies, often even a fan on
> northbridge. Think of it as a fan on a 486. It's ridiculous, but
> sometimes
> it's there nevertheless.
>
> Look at this if you can stand the sight of a pc ;)
> http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/motherboard/gigabyte_7vaxp/
> cooler.jpg
> http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/motherboard-reviews/1173_2.html
>
> quote from the latter:
> "
> and the Northbridge comes equipped with a nice heatsink and fan combo
> that
> helps stabilize the overclocking environment. I have heard speculation
> that
> various motherboards companies want to eliminate this feature all
> together
> as they feel it is not a necessary component. Don't they know it is
> just a
> nice extra that looks cool too?
> "

<geezing>
   I remember the "old days" when the kiddiez did simpler dumb things
like put chrome valve covers on their American muscle cars.  Heh, I did
that to my '72 Chevelle.  Now I won't even sit in an American-made car,
much less own one!
</geezing>

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your