[rescue] VAX CPU Board on ebay

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jan 26 04:14:05 CST 2003

On Sunday 26 January 2003 03:55, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> >    Yeah.  It's amazing how anything that has a heat sink on it is a
> > "CPU".  People who don't know the difference should somehow be
> > prevented from using the terms.
>
> Heh.  Are you aware that some "l33t" overclockers have cooling fans on
> the PCI bridge chipsets ("north bridge" and "south bridge" chipsets)?

Actually, that's nothing overclocker-specific... quit a bit of motherboards,
so my astonisment, have heatsinks on the chippies, often even a fan on a
northbridge. Think of it as a fan on a 486. It's ridiculous, but sometimes
it's there nevertheless.

Look at this if you can stand the sight of a pc ;)
http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/motherboard/gigabyte_7vaxp/cooler.jpg
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/motherboard-reviews/1173_2.html

quote from the latter:
"
and the Northbridge comes equipped with a nice heatsink and fan combo that
helps stabilize the overclocking environment. I have heard speculation that
various motherboards companies want to eliminate this feature all together
as they feel it is not a necessary component. Don't they know it is just a
nice extra that looks cool too?
"

conclusion: they mount these electricity suckers in the factory.

btw do sparcs have heatsinks on the memory already? Rambus ram for the PIV
has *sigh*.

> Dude, it must be a CPU, it's on the m0b0!

I wish that were true. In the 21st century, where we must save on the scare
resources of Mother Earth, we make computers with big, heavy components
that eat more electricity then a dishwasher. And you need a 500 grams
heatsink for them, oh yeah.

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be