[rescue] VAX CPU Board on ebay

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Jan 26 00:27:12 CST 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 12:59:12AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > All the MBAs at Sun, HP, SGI, et al. are drooling over the "synergy"
> > of charging you and me fat markups on Itaniums while talking about how
> > much better their China-sourced parts are vs. the China-sourced parts
> > you can buy off newegg.com or via Pricewatch.com .
>
>    Yeah but nobody's *buying* the Itaniums.  Sooner or later even the
> dumbest of suits will have to realize that.

We can hope (I like IRIX a lot and have a feeling HPUX is going to be
my second-fave OS); but the SGI reps at LinuxWorld made nothing but
excuses as to why their lowest cost workstation simply could not be
any less than what it was in terms of cost.

Meanwhile, I distinctly remember a much-healthier SGI selling $5,000
Indys like hotcakes in the mid-90s, when halfway-acceptable PCs were
still in the $2000 to $2500 range... wish I had time to give their
most senior guy at the show my opinion on why they should mass-produce
o2's in a single, loaded config for say $4k apiece along with how they
could greatly improve their positioning of IRIX at no additional cost.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |