[rescue] VAX CPU Board on ebay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 26 00:42:36 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 01:27 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo
+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> We can hope (I like IRIX a lot and have a feeling HPUX is going to be
> my second-fave OS); but the SGI reps at LinuxWorld made nothing but
> excuses as to why their lowest cost workstation simply could not be
> any less than what it was in terms of cost.
>
> Meanwhile, I distinctly remember a much-healthier SGI selling $5,000
> Indys like hotcakes in the mid-90s, when halfway-acceptable PCs were
> still in the $2000 to $2500 range... wish I had time to give their
> most senior guy at the show my opinion on why they should mass-produce
> o2's in a single, loaded config for say $4k apiece along with how they
> could greatly improve their positioning of IRIX at no additional cost.

   Yeah...But there's no making them understand.  Their manufacturing
volumes were (of course) nowhere near that of PeeCees but they were
still high enough to get the prices down to much lower than what they
were.

   If Apple can learn that lesson, anybody can.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your