[rescue] You want balls?

Jeffrey J.Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Fri Jan 17 12:32:41 CST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:17:36 +0100, you wrote:

> On Friday 17 January 2003 16:52, Jeffrey J.Nonken wrote:
> > > btw, I still have a cdrom lying around here with dozens of old dos
> > > games on it (Indiana Jones, commander keen, day of the tentacle which
> > > is one of the best games Lucas ever made etc.). I'd upload it somewhere
> > > for permanence if someone can host it. Most of it didn't work last time
> > > I tried (win95 pc @ 133 mhz) but once again, a 486 might do the trick
> > > ;-)
> >
> > Um, be careful of copyright issues, hmm?
>
> Oh yes, copyrights. Forgot *sigh* .
>
> Well actually, no one sells these things anymore, I think if Lucas sued
> someone for copying monkey islands of DOTT these days everyone's gonna
> laugh straight in their face. We're actually supposed to be
> honored/respected/loved for keeping history intact.
>
> Aren't we? Are we?
>
> Just in case you need more convincing about DOTT:
> http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/june/dott.html .
> Quote: "This game has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on a
> adventure game."

Hanging around in a gaming crowd as I do, I sometimes hear things. It's been
while, but seems to me that I'd heard that id Software has reacted unkindly
violations of their Commander Keen copyrights. I only thought of it because
you mentioned that game in particular.

I don't have any idea what the current state of things is. And I have my own
opinions regarding copyright duration and various related matters. But I
thought I should give a gentle reminder... if you're talking about publicly
hosting this stuff, you'd better make sure you're covered, one way or
another.

YMMV, MHO, and so on.

---
When I say "I like chocolate" I mean "like" as in "I like to breathe."