[rescue] The onyx godness

Jeffrey J.Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Mon Jan 13 10:55:05 CST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:16:47 -0500, you wrote:

> On Monday, Jan 13, 2003, at 10:42 US/Eastern, Jeffrey J.Nonken wrote:
>
> > Actually, this started when I said something about making a PS/2-to-Sun
> > keyboard/mouse converter, and people started telling me I'm making all
> > the
> > wrong choices.
>

> Heh. You sure are. But don't let anybody tell you it's wrong to learn
> something new.
>
> I want a converter to use a Sun keyboard on a peecee.

When I started looking up protocol and hardware specs on the 'net, I had
every
intention of making converters to go both ways. Once I've gone from PC to
Sun,
going the other way should be relatively simple. Both interfaces are 2-way
and
I'll already know the protocols, so I'll be more than halfway there.

And it would allow me to use a Sun keyboard and mouse with my PS/2 KVM switch
with both my PCs and SS20s.

But the derision with which my initial enthusiasm was greeted has pretty much
turned me off to the project.

> > I'm starting to think the whole thing is a mistake. I should work on
> > learning
> > Linux and give the Sun hardware away.
>

> No, no. Do both. Run Solaris on the SPARC stuff, linux and BSD on the
> peecees. Learn it all. The utilities and basic systems are alike enough
> that you'll be comfortable in both once you're comfortable in one. It
> doesn't take long. What did one guy here say? 25 commands?
>

> > I'll keep the tape drive, I'm getting some use out of that.
>
> Keep it all. Seriously.

Why? It seems like a lot of effort with little return. I've had the things
for
four months and I can't even turn one of them into a firewall/router. Using
software that came with it. I don't really have much use for an SS20, and my
wife's monitor isn't compatible. She'll end up remote-controlling it from her
PC using a Windows app, fer crissakes.

---
The sun's not going down; the horizon's coming up!