[rescue] IRIX Java experiences?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jan 6 07:07:38 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:53:59AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   I would think that, based on what I saw on the Indigo2, it'd kick all
> sorts of ass on something like an Onyx or an Octane.

MIT's Media lab used to love running Java with some sort of custom
Java->OpenGL binding (and probably lots of other custom native code) on
large multiprocessor Onyx2s.  That is what they used for one of their
major actor based animation systems, I believe.

>   Solaris is an excellent platform for this stuff...I'd say the fastest
> I've seen, given enough memory.  It also seems to thread very well.

It does seem like that natural choice.  I found even Java on SS5s to be
rather good.

--
Joshua D. Boyd