[rescue] IRIX Java experiences?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 6 00:53:59 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 11:38 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo
+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> Any folks here have experience with Java running on IRIX?

   I've run it, but I haven't done much with it.  It seems to work
pretty well, but it's not the fastest.  My experiences are with 1.3.1
on an Indigo2 R10K/195, haven't tried anything newer...things may have
changed since then.

   I would think that, based on what I saw on the Indigo2, it'd kick all
sorts of ass on something like an Onyx or an Octane.

> I know a few folks here were working heavily with Java and had beliefs
> as to which platform to go with.

   MacOS X is a *great* Java development platform, but it lags behind by
at least one release.  Their 1.4.1 stuff is just about to hit the
streets, I've been running the Developer Previews of it with good
results for a while now.

   Solaris is an excellent platform for this stuff...I'd say the fastest
I've seen, given enough memory.  It also seems to thread very well.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols