[rescue] CD-ROM errors on Indigo2

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:13 CST 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 01:08 pm, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> > I picked up 2 Indigo2's with known working cpu/mem (albeit unknown specs)
> > but NO drives or drive sleds the other day.  I'd be interested in a drive
>
> They will run fine off the external SCSI chain until you find sleds.
>
> The same CD-ROM drive that boots your Suns will boot the I^2s.

Can I challenge this, or get some help?  I have a Toshiba XM-5301B that works
great in my Sparcstations.  But it's an internal and I have no sleds for my
I2.

I also have a Toshiba XM-3401BMA in an external IBM-branded case (7210-005).
The case brings all of the jumpers to the back: ID bits, parity, PRV/ALW,
Test and Termination.

So, I've tried both of these drives in the external case attached to my I2's
external SCSI connector.  At first the power-on diags sensed a parity
problem.  Okay, throw the dip switch and reboot everything.  Now I'm getting
other errors:

------------------------------
sc1,5,0: cmd=0x12 Unexpected msg in 1, phase 36.   Resetting SCSI bus
sc1,5,0: cmd=0x12 Unexpected msg in 1, phase 36.   Resetting SCSI bus
sc1,5,0: cmd=0x12 Unexpected msg in 1, phase 36.   Resetting SCSI bus
sc1,6,0: cmd=0x12 timeout after 2 sec.  Resetting SCSI bus

External SCSI device/cable diagnostic     *FAILED*

	Check or replace: Disk, Floppy, CDROM, or SCSI Cable

sc1,5: Unexpected extended msgin type c0, len c0
sc1,5,0: cmd=0x12 Unexpected msg in 1, phase 36.   Resetting SCSI bus
sc1,5,0: cmd=0x12 Unexpected msg in 1, phase 36.   Resetting SCSI bus
sc1,5,0: cmd=0x12 Unexpected msg in 1, phase 36.   Resetting SCSI bus
sc1,6,0: cmd=0x12 timeout after 2 sec.  Resetting SCSI bus

Diagnostics Failed.

Does the I2 care which ID the CD-ROM uses?  Any idea if the Toshiba model
numbers listed above will work?   What could be causing these errors?

Eric