[rescue] Big haul at work

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:03 CST 2003

As I recall, 'Sheldon T. Hall' wrote:
> I^2s are cool.  Are yours teal (likely to be R4k) or purple (likely to be
> R10k)?

Teal.

> They take 72-pin real-parity SIMMs, up to 16 MB (most teal ones) or 128 MB
> (late purple ones) per SIMM.  You can, it seems, cram a gig of RAM into a
> late R10K purple I^2.

I've got a few 72-pin parity simms around, and for all I know these
things are already crammed full, but more is certainly better here.

> They will run fine off the external SCSI chain until you find sleds.

That's the plan until I can get sleds.

> The same CD-ROM drive that boots your Suns will boot the I^2s.

Yep, no problem there.  I only have 2 cdroms, both external, that
I float between my sparcs.

> I think you can talk to them through the serial port, using a Macintosh
> modem cable, and maybe a null modem.  That should be good enough to get into
> the monitor and use the "hinv -t" command to get the specs on what you have.

I've got a monitor coming in the next day or so (he forgot to bring it)
so I'm waiting until then.  I got 2 I^2's, a Tatung Ultra1 clone,
and a 17" SGI monitor for $25 and figured this was my chance to
play with some SGI hardware.

> The best site for Indigo 2 info is probably
> http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/sgi.html.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

-DanD

# Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying
# as an income tax refund.  -- F. J. Raymond