[rescue] Yessssss!! OT:- Big Iron

Steven Hill sjh at waroffice.net
Sat Dec 20 18:09:05 CST 2003

> When I was in Data Center Operations, I saw an IBM 3090/600e being
> built up, and the onlything bigger that that iron, was the *literal*
> mountain of small cardboard boxes, each with a small antistatic bag
> that held one small card/component...

I was a mainframe op on a 3090-200J, our basement room in a 70s building
had ramps hidden behind walls and all sorts of weird shit so we could
wheel in cabinets...

I sadly never saw it being built out, but we did have a disk fail once.

A pallett arrived one day, marked for the attention of Gordon Bennett. At
7 am, I was like "what the fuck is this?" at 9 Gordon walked in and asked
if something had arrived for him (he was our IBM CE) One disk pack. Maybe
a couple of gig, with platters about a foot in diameter.

Ah, those halcyon days.

--
Steven Hill

"Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet."