[rescue] Yessssss!! OT:- Big Iron

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Dec 20 18:09:05 CST 2003

 Steven Hill writes ...

> A pallett arrived one day, marked for the attention of Gordon Bennett. At
> 7 am, I was like "what the fuck is this?" at 9 Gordon walked in and asked
> if something had arrived for him (he was our IBM CE) One disk pack. Maybe
> a couple of gig, with platters about a foot in diameter.

Heh.

In the Gates CompSci building at Stanford they have one platter from their
original hard disk drive.

Solid steel, about an inch thick, and about 5 _feet_ in diameter.

And it wasn't the only one in the "pack," either.

As I remember the accompanying blurb, the drive took two hours to spin up
and stabilize.  How they delt with gyroscopic precession, I have no idea.

-Shel