[rescue] Yessssss!! OT:- Big Iron

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 18:09:04 CST 2003

--- "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
> When I was working on big iron in the early seventies, the bank got a
> new NCR Century 200 to replace our 315.  Putting the new computer in
> involved closing a main street in downtown Atlanta, and using a
> construction crane to lift off the removable roof of the data
> center and drop in the new boxes.

When I was in Data Center Operations, I saw an IBM 3090/600e being
built up, and the onlything bigger that that iron, was the *literal*
mountain of small cardboard boxes, each with a small antistatic bag
that held one small card/component...

It was unbelievaboe (to me) - but, comparing this to your NCR machine
experience, I can see why IBM choose to build these machines "on site".

It took (by my count) six technicians about a week to get the thing
together, and these were long days for them (12+ hours each). Looking
back on it, they remind me of the fellow I see that come in to build up
the "pre fab" self storage facilities around here...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall