[rescue] Yessssss!! OT:- Big Iron

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Dec 20 18:09:04 CST 2003

 Mike Meredith wrote ...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:03:35 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:14:46PM +0000, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Out of interest how big does a machine have to be to qualify as big
> > > iron.
> >
> > "requires truck with lift bed to move"
>
> "makes traffic news whilst being shipped" (as in "awkward load on A34
> may cause delays this morning").

When I was working on big iron in the early seventies, the bank got a new
NCR Century 200 to replace our 315.  Putting the new computer in involved
closing a main street in downtown Atlanta, and using a construction crane to
lift off the removable roof of the data center and drop in the new boxes.

I left the bank while we were still running both machines in parallel, but I
assume they had to do the same thing to get the 315 out.  It had 14 cabinets
and most were considerably larger than a half-height rack.  I think it was
the last 315 in regular production use in the country.

-Shel