[rescue] External FireWire case

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:38 CST 2003

I don't know the details behind it, but in my personnel
experience, i have successfully swapped hard drives into Firewire
optical drives boxes but the reverse has never worked for me.

/KRM

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:28:47 -0500
"William Enestvedt" <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> wrote:

> So I sort of dumpster-dived an external FireWire case -- actually,
> it was handed to me as junk -- and cracked the cover. The drive
> seems to spin up happily, and when I swapped in an optical drive,
> it, too, opened its tray to be fed a CD-ROM and spun that up to
> speed -- but nothing ever shows on the Mac to which it's connected.
>    Does this sound like it's the FireWire bridge card that croaked?
>    If so, are
> these swappable? (The unit as a whole is out of warranty after what
> we did to the case, though I plan to RMA the internal drive.)
>    The case was a Western Digital 80GB (Model number WD800B002-RNx,
> believe), described on the WD web site at :
>         http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=18
>    Last night I found a web site (URL now lost) that shows someone
>    modding old
> external SCSI cases to act as FireWire enclosures, and I'm
> intrigued: I could either just replace the FireWire board in this
> case I have, or refit a nice external (50-pin SCSI) case I have
> now...or both!
>    Does anyone have experience with this kind of project?
>
> - Will Enestvedt

"Microsoft is fighting these initiatives (OSS in government) like a
cornered badger on amphetamines."

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/